Thursday, November 6, 2008

9 OCTOBER 2008--Feet On Ice!



Well, my feet are finally on the Ice. The real Antarctic season has begun. It was amazing to step off the plane and have friends waiting to greet me. Some of the firefighters that I had hung out with last year were waiting to greet me with hugs upon arrival. The Antarctic community is small in number and friendships become quickly cemented and easily renewed. It becomes an instant Antarctic family reunion on the Ice. We quickly offloaded the medical supplies that needed to be hand carried to the Fire Department's vehicles. Greg was chatting someone up and while waiting for him to cut the chatter I ended up getting frostnip of the nose. In a matter of 2 minutes the tip of my nose nipped to the color of a white sheet of paper. We got Greg moving and headed into Mac Town (McMurdo Station). My nose was no worse for the wear...it didn't turn yellow...it didn't turn black...it didn't peel...it didn't fall off...all occurances related to frostbite. Nipped not bit!

No comments: